(Directions shown are for 36 inch long skirt)
1. Determine the desired finished length of the skirt by measuring from waist to mid calf or ankle. (36”) Divide that number by 3 and add 1 inch. (36/3=12+1=13) This is the length to cut for each tier.
2. You will need 2 cuts for the top tier, 4 for the middle and 8 for the lower; 14 cuts in all. So multiply 13 by 14 and add 5 additional inches for the waist band. (13x14=182+5=187)
3. Divide the 187 inches by 36 inches to get required yardage. (187/36=5.19) Round up to 5 ¼ yards.
Keep in mind that cotton shrinks and is often wound on the bolt crooked so plan on purchasing at least ½ yard extra. For this 36” skirt you should purchase at least 5 ¾ yards of fabric.
4. Before cutting you will want to pre-shrink cotton fabric. I usually wash in warm water with mild detergent to remove any sizing. Dry in dryer on hottest heat setting. Remove immediately and iron lightly to remove any deep wrinkles, being careful not to pull the fabric out of shape.
5. Fold the fabric in half length wise and you are ready to start cutting.
6. Use your predetermined tier length (for this skirt 13 inches) and cut.
7. Assemble using ½ inch seam allowance.
If you would prefer to purchase the skirt click here