Sunday, July 14, 2013

Part 1
About 7 years ago I started sewing for the students at Puente , a tri-lingual magnet school in Flagstaff, AZ. Students are enrolled in either the Spanish/English or Navajo/English programs of study. Each year the school puts on a Spring Cultural Dance event. Students perform with their own grade/class on stage in full costume (aka regalia). Its a very colorful, entertaining and educational evening.
My involvement started when my oldest grandson was in Kindergarten in the Navajo/English class. I made a traditional Navajo red velvet shirt for him to dance in a traditional Navajo round dance. I continued to make shirts for him and his younger brothers every year. Gradually I started sewing for other students to make a little extra cash.
Three years ago, I decided to do some spec sewing. Translated, that means I designed and cut out a lovely skirt and blouse set. And that's as far as it went. The un-sewn outfit has been sitting in a plastic grocery bag through two moves and umpteen cleaning/organizing rotations. Today, I opened the bag and decided to start sewing. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: